Friday, January 14, 2011

Story Idea: War & Media

.
Returned Iraq/Afghanistan Troops

Guys:

I met a new student the other day--a new freshman who's probably mid-20s--who had served as a Marine and then independent contract security guy in Iraq. He has interesting perspectives on the importance of news on people's lives in a war zone.

I'm wondering about a story on returned veterans and their perspectives on how American understands their experiences through the news media—it's a media smarts question....how do we know what we think we know about Iraq/Afghanistan?

Col. Paul Faletto, who's in charge of Army ROTC on campus, is also an Afghanistan vet (3 tours, I think), and he also has insights on the role of the media.

I'm just noodling here, but if we could find more veterans--Faletto and the Air Force ROTC guy could help--it might be an interesting story.

Thoughts, anyone?

Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment